In 2018, we’ve seen the number of companies and business travelers using Airbnb for Work grow exponentially. In addition to more and more road warriors turning to Airbnb, we’re seeing the ways they travel — where they go, where they prefer to stay, and what they do when visiting a new city — change in interesting ways.
Here’s a look at business travel trends to be on the lookout for in 2019.
Move over traditional business travel corridors: Latin America, Asia and Africa surge in growth.
While main Airbnb business travel hubs like London, Paris, New York, and Sydney remain prominent destinations, we’re seeing the highest growth of trips to locations in regions like Latin America and Africa this year over last*.
Some of the fastest-growing locations for business travelers include cities in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, South Korea, and South Africa, including:
- Mar Del Plata, Argentina (624% YoY increase in bookings)
- Guarujá, Brazil (594% YoY increase in bookings)
- Aguascalientes, Mexico (594% YoY increase in bookings)
- Gwangju, Korea (520% YoY increase in bookings)
- Pietermaritzburg, South Africa (465% YoY increase in bookings)
Group business trips continue to rise, and groups are traveling to historic and scenic hotspots.
The most popular group business travel destinations around the world trend toward cities in Malaysia, Brazil, Philippines, Mexico, and the U.S.**, including:
Some travelers are planners, while others book at the last minute.
For all travelers on Airbnb, the average trip is booked more than 35 days in advance. But, business travelers book with less lead time — business trips are being booked on average slightly more than 20 days in advance**.
- Business travelers from cities in Taiwan, the U.S., and Germany book the furthest in advance.
- Business travelers from cities in France, Norway, and Mexico book with the least amount of lead time.
- Globally, those identifying as male book overall trips on average 32 days in advance, and for business trips they average 19 days in advance.
- Globally, those identifying as female book overall trips on average 40 days in advance, and for business trips they average 27 days in advance.
Business travelers are soaking up local culture by staying active and eating their way through cities while on business trips.
Airbnb Experiences make travel magical again by immersing travelers in local communities around the world by offering unique, one-of-a-kind Experiences that are handcrafted and led by local experts. Walking, biking, boating activities — and food Experiences to fuel back up — are specifically surging for business travelers***.
- Business travelers originating from the U.S., the UK, Canada, Australia, and Germany book the most Experiences when traveling for work.
- When on the road, some of the most-booked Experiences, globally, by business travelers include:
*Based on internal Airbnb data for business bookings made November 2016 to November 2017 vs. November 2017 to November 2018.
**Based on internal Airbnb data for business bookings made between November 2017 to November 2018.
***Based on internal Airbnb data for Experience bookings made between November 2017 to November 2018.