Today we’re unveiling Airbnb Adventures – an expansion of Airbnb Experiences that includes the incredible opportunity for daring guests to channel their inner Phileas Fogg and travel Around the World in 80 Days. This epic voyage across six of the Earth’s continents joins other Adventures now available to book through hosts on Airbnb ranging from tracking lions on foot with Sabache Warriors in Kenya to hunting for UFOs with Nate in Arizona.
Since we launched over 11 years ago, Airbnb has provided an alternative to uniform and mass produced travel, meeting a demand for more uniquely local travel experiences. We started with people opening their homes and in 2016 expanded to allow people to share their passions and talents with Airbnb Experiences, which is now available in over 1,000 cities worldwide. Today we go one step further, with hosts providing unique and magical travel experiences as Airbnb Adventures which include for the first time lodging, meals, and activities.
Airbnb Adventures is a new collection of bucket list worthy multi-day experiences hosted by local experts that take intimate groups to epic, off-the-beaten-path locations and immerses them in unique cultures and communities. You can now enjoy a six day Galapagos Slow Food Safari, experience the wonders of Oman or camp on a cliff in Colorado – all you have to do is show up.
Introducing guests to natural wonders, cultures and communities that are hard to reach on their own, Airbnb Adventures are led by local experts and meet certain quality and safety standards. Airbnb was advised on safety and best practices by the Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA). They are also affordable; hosts offer a range of prices from $79 for an overnight trip up to $5,000 for a 10-day trek. Today at launch, there are over 200 adventures to choose from that are either entirely exclusive to Airbnb, or provided by small, local operators that are not typically found on any other major booking platform.
To mark the launch of the category, a limited number of lucky individuals will have the truly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to join an 80-day trip around the world. Inspired by the epic Jules Verne classic penned almost 150 years ago, this Adventure takes guests across six continents, 18 countries, two oceans, five seas and eight modes of transportation including, of course, a hot air balloon.
Getting access to epic and transformational travel has never been easier than through Airbnb Adventures. Like Airbnb Experiences, people can escape their day-to-day and put their screens and devices away but now instead of just a few hours, they have the option to be fully immersed off-the-beaten-path, to push themselves out of their comfort zones and have experiences that will stay with them for the rest of their lives.
Joe “Joebot” Zadeh, VP of Experiences at Airbnb
The breadth of Airbnb Adventures reaches far beyond the challenging to match every passion and skill level. Across each corner of the world, these 200+ Adventures range from Cliff Camping to kayaking to cultural immersions. They are hosted by experienced locals that have fascinating stories to share, and because they always take place in intimate groups, guests can look to learn, make personal connections, seek challenges and grow.
According to the ATTA, the international adventure travel market in 2017 could be valued at over $683 billion, up 21 percent from 2012. With more travelers seeking adventure than ever before, Airbnb is looking to democratize the industry, offering more attainable experiences that are designed to unlock the power of nature, are led by locals and cater to a breadth of interests and abilities.
- 200+ available globally at launch, with many more to be added before the end of the year
- All Adventures are in small groups with a maximum capacity of 12 guests or less
- Median price of an Adventure is $588 for a three-day trip
- Hosts offer Adventures under a range of budgets from $79 for an overnight trip up to $5,000 for once-in-a-lifetime 10-day treks*
- Adventures covers a wide breadth of activity ranging from active to foodie, farming to camping, music to animals – always with a strong element of local community
- As part of the launch of Airbnb Adventures, Airbnb has partnered with GoPro. Travelers booking an Adventure will get $200 off a GoPro HERO7 Black Adventure Kit. Offer ends 12/31/19.
- The Around the World in 80 Days Adventure will be available to book from June 20, from London to London departing September 1, 2019
*Hosts are the providers of Adventures: they arrange their own Adventure, control when and where they host, the itinerary, where they stay, what services they offer, and what they charge. Flights not included with the exception of inter-country travel within the Around the World in 80 Days itinerary.
Airbnb Adventures at a Glance:
- Track Lions On Foot With Warriors
- Trek Deep Into The Amazon Jungle
- Cowboy Life in the American Wild West
- Dana to Petra Trek
- Paranormal Tour of the US Southwest
- Camp on the Side of a Cliff in Colorado
- Swedish Islands Culinary Kayaking Trip
- Musical Camping in the California Desert
- 7 Days Accessible Experience Rapa Nui
- Hiking the world’s most silent place
- Farm stay in Indiana Amish country
- Searching for Sasquatch in Washington
- Mystical Oman Trek
The Airbnb Press Room is aimed at journalists. All Homes and Experiences referenced on the Airbnb Press Room are intended purely to inspire and illustrate. Airbnb does not recommend or endorse specific Home or Experience listings on the Airbnb platform.