After spending time with loved ones and perhaps overindulging over the holidays, Airbnb travellers are kicking off the new year by suiting up and hitting the slopes. In fact, the average host can earn over $3,500 by opening up their home during the 2019 ski season on Airbnb, and cumulatively, hosts in top ski markets are on track to earn over $315 million through April*.
And as guests pack on the winter gear, Airbnb is uncovering the trending destinations, the most wish listed ski abodes to stay in, and the most booked Experiences found in ski destinations around the globe.
average potential earnings for Homes hosts during the 2019 ski season
total earnings Homes hosts in top ski markets are on track to earn during the 2019 ski season
Ideal backcountry ski areas and border towns are experiencing more guest arrivals this year, including one of Airbnb’s top trending destinations for 2019 — the Great Smoky Mountains. Below are some of the top trending ski destinations for Airbnb travellers this season**:
- Karuizawa, Japan (444%)
- Zhangjiakou, China (217%)
- Great Smoky Mountains, TN (207%)
- Lombardy Mountains, Italy (186%)
- San Carlos De Bariloche, Argentina (186%)
- Poconos, PA (179%)
- Whitefish, MT (171%)
- Apennine Mountains, Italy (170%)
- Eastern Townships, Canada (166%)
- Snowy Mountains, Australia (165%)
As far as accommodations go, both off-the-grid miniature cabins and sprawling chalets are inspiring those looking to plan their next ski-cation. Below are the most wish listed ski Homes around the world***:
- Transylvania Log Cabin (Pesteana, Romania)
- Casita en la Montaña (Sant Julià de Lòria, Andorra)
- Charming Chalet in Liechtenstein (Steg, Liechtenstein)
- Xalet Carlemany (La Massana, Andorra)
- The Lake Tahoe Chalet (South Lake Tahoe, CA)
- Luxury 5* Chalet, Sauna, Hot Tub – Verbier Region (Sion, Switzerland)
- Peaceful Cabin in Winter Wonderland (Kittilä, Lapland)
- Rusutsu Cozy 2bdr Chalet Few Mins Walk to Ski Lift (Rusutsu-mura, Japan)
- Apartur Las Leñas, 30 Week Ski (Las Leñas, Argentina)
- Crofton House – Cosy Ski Cabin Near Niseko Hirafu (Rankoshi-Cho, Japan)
And when guests are putting down their skis and boards, we’re finding they’re not necessarily getting off the mountain. With Airbnb Experiences, guests are exploring the slopes in new ways with locals that are passionate about the snowy mountain ranges they call home. Here are some of the most booked Airbnb Experiences in ski destinations globally****:
- Mt. Seymour Snowshoeing & Photography (Vancouver, Canada)
- Ski or Snowboard The Local Mountains (Vancouver, Canada)
- Ski & Snowboard for Riders! (Santiago, Chile)
- Relaxing Countryside : Somewhere Snowy (Wonju-si, South Korea)
- Mt Baker Ski or Snow Board! (Glacier, WA)
- Snow Cave Overnight Tour – Elfin Lakes (Squamish, Canada)
- Dogsledding Day-trip in snowy Målselv (Tromsø, Norway)
- Guided Snowshoe Trek in Niseko Forest (Iwanai, Japan)
- Moonlight Snowshoe on Mt. Hood (Troutdale, OR)
- Learn to Ski in Tahoe City (Tahoe City, CA)
*Based on internal Airbnb data for hosts expected earnings in ski destinations (as defined by having the most listings with ski in the description) from January-April 2019.
**Based on internal Airbnb data for year over year growth for bookings made for 2019 as of January 4, 2019 versus 2018 as of January 4, 2018 in ski destinations (as defined by having the most listings with ski in the description).
***Based on internal Airbnb data of the most wish listed cabins, chalets, and nature lodges in ski destinations.
****Based on internal Airbnb data of the most booked Experiences all-time in ski destinations.
The Airbnb Press Room is aimed at journalists. All Homes and Experiences referenced on the Airbnb Press Room are intended purely to inspire and illustrate. Airbnb does not recommend or endorse specific Home or Experience listings on the Airbnb platform.