Olympian Scottie Pippen Hosts Fans At His Home Court for the Olympic Games
- This summer, two-time Olympic gold medalist and six-time NBA champion Scottie Pippen is offering fans the chance to experience the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 like never before — with an overnight stay and opportunity to watch the Olympic Games on NBCUniversal’s broadcast networks and streaming services at his Chicago home.
- Fans can relive Pippen’s historic win at the Olympic Games Barcelona 1992 with access to Olympic Games archival footage before they head to the indoor basketball court.
- Pippen’s former 1992 U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball team members Larry Bird and Patrick Ewing are also lacing up to host Online Experiences in honor of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, in addition to 200+ Olympian and Paralympian Online Experiences that guests can book throughout Tokyo 2020 on Airbnb.
With less than two weeks until Tokyo 2020, we’ll soon find out which teams will emerge as this Olympic Games’ most unexpected success stories, and what new talent will captivate every corner of the world. Fans are no doubt reminiscing on iconic Olympic moments and triumphs — like the U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball Team at Barcelona 1992.
Wearing number 8 for the 1992 U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball Team, small forward Scottie Pippen is one of the most beloved members of the team. The team leader in assists, Pippen is also the only player to have won a NBA championship and gold medal at the Olympic Games in the same calendar year twice, first in 1992 and then again in 1996. And now, to celebrate the return of the Olympic Games this summer, Pippen is opening the doors to his Chicagoland home and tackling another first — becoming an Airbnb Host.
“Being able to represent the United States as an Olympian twice was an incredible honor as an athlete,” said Pippen. “Playing alongside the best of the best with Team USA will always be a career highlight for me, and I’m excited to host basketball fans at my home to witness the next generation of athletes performing at the top of their sport.“
Pippen will host three one-night stays for up to four people at his Chicago home occurring on 2nd August, 4th August and 6th August for only $92* a night, a nod to the year he and his teammates became gold medalists. Each stay is timed so guests can watch the magic of the Olympic Games basketball competitions on NBCUniversal’s broadcast networks and streaming services from Pippen’s own home theatre, from the group stage to the gold and silver medal games. Fans will revel in sport history while also celebrating the athletes competing at Tokyo 2020, with experiences including:
- A virtual greeting upon check-in from Pippen himself.
- Access to the home’s indoor basketball court, where you and your fellow guests can enjoy a friendly game of one-on-one or a round of HORSE.
- The opportunity to lounge in Pippen’s personal movie theatre and watch the Olympic Games during the days of the stays, including men’s and women’s basketball. Plus, guests can watch footage of the team’s historic 1992 run in Barcelona.
- A chance to relax outdoors by the pool, complete with an outdoor television so you don’t miss a moment of the Olympic Games – even while swimming. It’s one of Pippen’s favourite things to do, other than play hoops.
- You can also hold a mini competition of your own in the arcade room, or take a breather after hitting the court in the indoor sauna.
- Fuel up with some of Scottie’s preferred pre-game foods, including fresh fruits and veggies, or his usual dinner before a big game – steak, a baked potato and asparagus.
- Exclusive access to view Olympic Games memorabilia, including items from Team USA’s 2020 Medal Stand Collection that guests can take home with them.
Interested guests should note that the stay’s rules are in strict adherence with local COVID-19 guidelines. Those who request to book must currently live in the United States to minimise risk. Guests can rest easy knowing that onsite staff will follow the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines as well as Airbnb’s COVID-19 Safety Practices, which include wearing a mask, practicing social distancing, and abiding by our five-step enhanced cleaning process. Guests are responsible for their own travel to and from Chicago.
Airbnb is proud to be a Worldwide Olympic and Paralympic Partner, celebrating the athletic achievements of both past, current and future athletes. In recognition of Team USA’s commitment to supporting athletes both on and off the field of play, Airbnb will make a one-time donation to the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Foundation, which generates critical financial resources that help Team USA athletes reach their full potential.
Aspiring Olympians, Paralympians and fans can request to book this stay beginning Thursday, 22nd July at 6 p.m. BST at airbnb.com/scottiepippen.
For those basketball superfans unable to book a stay, Pippen will be hosting an Online Experience on August 5 that will give guests a glimpse behind the scenes at Tokyo, through the lens of his own Olympic experience. Plus fellow 1992 U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball teammates Larry Bird and Patrick Ewing will host Online Experiences offering intimate discussions about how becoming a gold medalist Olympian was a career highlight.
Not a basketball fan, but love surfing? No problem. Airbnb is also offering Olympic and Paralympic superfans around the world over 200 new ways to experience the Olympic and Paralympic Games with the launch of Olympian and Paralympian Online Experiences. Hosted by current and retired Olympians and Paralympians, fans can relive iconic moments in Olympic or Paralympic Games history or learn what it takes to perform at the top of one’s sport with the athletes themselves, like:
- Tokyo Forecast with John John Florence
- Redefining Resilience with Yusra Mardini
- Chasing Dreams with Olympic Skateboarder Sky Brown
- Behind the Curtain of the Opening Ceremony
- World-class hospitality of Japan
To explore even more Experiences hosted by a variety of competing and non-competing Olympians and Paralympians, visit airbnb.com/olympics starting on 15th July.
*Plus taxes and fees
**The one-night stays are not a contest
Airbnb is closely monitoring Chicago infection rates and government policies, and will offer the booking guest a $1,000 USD Airbnb travel credit if it becomes necessary to cancel the stays.
This press release encourages safe and responsible travel. Local and international travel requirements, as well as health guidelines, continue to change quickly. Check local restrictions at home and in your destination before booking a trip on Airbnb.
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 900 million guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer one-of-a-kind stays and unique Experiences that make it possible for guests to experience the world in a more authentic, connected way.