Connect with Paralympians through Online Experiences
Airbnb, the International Olympic Committee and the International Paralympic Committee are giving fans the opportunity to connect with Paralympian athletes, including members of the Refugee Paralympic Team, through Online Experiences, available to book now only on Airbnb.
More than 45 Paralympian athletes, including Jonnie Peacock, Chris Waddell, Nicky Nieves, Edênia Garcia, Benoit Huot, Hunter Woodhall and Tara Davis, and Refugee Paralympic Team athletes are hosting Online Experiences as part of a curated program featuring over 200 Online Experiences designed to bring fans closer to the magic of Tokyo 2020.
Get into the athlete’s mindset, learn the power of positivity and how to de-stress and recharge through Qigong. The Refugee Paralympic Team will also have a unique Online Experience live from the Athlete Village.
As a Worldwide Paralympic Partner, Airbnb is committed to supporting Paralympian athletes as Hosts and guests on Airbnb. Airbnb continues working to make travel more inclusive, and improving accessibility across our platform and products.
Online Experiences hosted by Paralympian athletes include:
- Gain vision from Lex Gillette: Learn how Lex Gillette trains and competes as a totally blind athlete, and gain greater vision of success with the four-time Paralympian and current world record holder in the long jump. Join Lex for a brief virtual tour around his training facility, a couple of simple writing exercises without using your sight, and a chat about the power of perspective and how we can use this to guide our actions daily.
- Don’t Freak Out with Jonnie Peacock: Through this intimate Experience, guests can get to know two-time Paralympic champion, Jonnie Peacock, upon his return from competing in Tokyo 2020, and learn how he approaches challenges. Jonnie will invite guests to share their own challenges and discuss how to tackle them and change the way we approach these life hurdles.
- Daring to Dream with Ibrahim Al Hussein: Think through the power of positivity with Paralympic swimmer and member of the Refugee Paralympic Team, Ibrahim Al Hussein. He will discuss the circumstances in which he lost his leg and became a refugee, and how his passion for swimming kept him anchored to his childhood dreams.
- Refugee Paralympic Team: The Road to Tokyo: Join Ileana Rodriguez, distinguished Paralympic swimmer, architect and Chef de Mission of the Refugee Paralympic Team, for an in-depth conversation with the Refugee Paralympic Team live from the Village. During this Experience, guests will discover what it means to be a refugee, a Paralympic athlete and a role model for aspiring athletes around the world.
- Positivity with Scott and Vanessa: When they’re not training in track and field, Scott Reardon and Vanessa Low are on a mission to share how inviting a positive mindset, greeting challenges with a smile, choosing to be present, and being prepared to adapt with as many people as possible to enhance their lives. In this Online Experience, the couple, who have won 14 medals between them over the last 10 years, will explore how, when things don’t go our way, we can use this to our advantage, and turn it into our biggest opportunity.
For more information on the Olympic and Paralympic Online Experiences or to view the full lineup, visit airbnb.com/paralympics. For fans that miss the chance to book these experiences, there will be more athlete-hosted experiences available year round. Additionally, Olympic and Paralympic athletes who are interested in sharing their passions with guests to earn supplemental income can learn more and sign up to become a Host here.