With millions of Americans taking time to visit loved ones and explore new places during the holiday season, many airports end up experiencing overcrowding, higher airline ticket prices and flight delays and cancellations. This Thanksgiving and holiday season, AirHelp anticipates that air travel will be at an all-time high. These facts might just make travelers’ holiday cheer feel all but melted away like last year’s snow, but in fact, they could actually become the gifts that keep on giving – for both one’s adventurous spirit and wallet.
For U.S. travelers that have to give up their seat on an overbooked flight, or deal with long delays, they might be entitled to up to $1,350 in compensation according to the U.S. Department of Transportation. Once thought of being limited to the offerings of the airport, this added time and possible cash makes your possibilities for food, activities, and even a decent place to stretch your legs endless with Airbnb Experiences in your departure city.
As travelers book tickets for the holiday season, they may want to take note of the most disrupted flight routes. According to AirHelp, based on last year’s crowds, the ten routes most likely to experience delays and cancellations include:
- New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA) → Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
- New York John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) → Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) → Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) → Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) → New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) → Portland International Airport (PDX)
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO) → Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Boston Edward L. Logan International Airport (BOS) → Orlando International Airport (MCO)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) → San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- Boston Edward L. Logan International Airport (BOS) → Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
If travelers find themselves among the thousands who will have to bump their seats this holiday season – and happen to be in one of the above cities – Airbnb Experiences can help them extend their vacation with the extra hours by uncovering these cities’ lesser known corners as shown by passionate locals:
- Backyard Beekeeping
- The Hollywood Boxing Experience
- Easy Rider: Discover LA by Sidecar
- Go Behind the Scenes of TV Sound!
- Venice/Dogtown Skateboard Culture Tour
The Airbnb Press Room is aimed at journalists. All Homes and Experiences referenced on the Airbnb Press Room are intended purely to inspire and illustrate. Airbnb does not recommend or endorse specific Home or Experience listings on the Airbnb platform.