- Online Experiences offers an easy way to become an entrepreneur and maintain a business from home
- Top earning Experience hosts have netted over $20,000 each after transitioning online
- Experience hosts offer travelers an opportunity to safely explore far away places and cultures virtually
Airbnb launched Online Experiences in April 2020 in response to shelter-in-place orders as a way for hosts to connect with guests virtually and earn money during the COVID-19 disruptions. As Airbnb hosts adapted their in-person Experiences to virtual versions, they found new ways to share their passions with guests and to offer travelers an opportunity to safely explore far away places and cultures from home.
With nearly half of Experience hosts reporting they or a member of their household is a small or independent business owner,* the pivot to hosting virtually provides an opportunity to sustain their entrepreneurial ambitions while earning supplemental income. Take Pedro in Portugal, for example. Unable to share his authentic sangria recipe in-person, Pedro and his six roommates have utilized Online Experiences to transform guests’ screens into their own digital cabaret. Within one month, the wildly popular Sangria and Secrets with Drag Queens Experience has grossed over $100,000. Creativity and laughs flow as Pedro and his fellow queens entertain guests and teach them how to make sangria from the comfort of their own homes.
Pedro is not the only host generating sizable income after transitioning his in-person Experience online. Resilience and savviness has helped other hosts earn up to $20,000 in just 30 days:
- Luca and Lorenzo, co-hosts of Our Family Pasta Recipe, lovingly honor their grandmothers’ Italian recipes and share them from their home six days a week. To-date, they’ve earned over $20,000.
- Meagan of Remote Rescue Goats, has earned over $10,000 while hosting from her animal sanctuary in the Catskill Mountains of New York. Since early April, she and her goats have delighted families by teaching kids and kids at heart fun facts about these quirky farm animals.
- Mak, host of Tarot Reading with Mak Jagger, provides guests some much-needed clarity during this challenging period. Her Online Experience, which includes interactive tarot readings and therapeutic group spiritual counseling, has grossed over $14,000 since transitioning online.
- Graciela, teaches guests about Mexico’s extraordinary food culture in a guided online cooking class. She has grossed over $12,000 with her practical recipes for authentic Mexican street tacos that anyone can follow at home.
Swapping stories, recipes and techniques have inspired many hosts and guests. Experience hosts shifting online have seen an immediate and positive impact that will likely continue to last after shelter-in-place orders lift.
*Based on more than 5,000 responses to a voluntary 2019 survey sent to a representative sample of Airbnb Experiences host accounts around the world. No payment or other incentive was provided in exchange for completing the survey.