Airbnb was recognized by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) as a top place to work for LGBTQ+ equality, scoring 100 percent on the organization’s annual Corporate Equality Index (CEI). We are proud to receive this designation for the eighth year in a row, joining a record-breaking 545 businesses in the United States that also earned top marks this year.
In step with the refreshed 2023 selection process, our internal policies and practices have met the evolved standards set by HRC’s Corporate Equality Index–the national benchmark tool on corporate policies, practices and benefits pertinent to LGBTQ+ employees. Our belief in connection and belonging extends to every facet of our community–including our non-discrimination policy and our community commitment that all Hosts and guests must agree to before using the platform, globally.
The CEI rates companies on detailed criteria falling under four central pillars:
- Non-discrimination policies across business entities
- Equitable benefits for LGBTQ+ workers and their families
- Supporting an inclusive culture
- Corporate social responsibility
Live, work, and Pride anywhere
Beyond this designation, we are so proud and thankful for the hard work the AirPride and Trans@ employee resource groups do to make Airbnb an inclusive and welcoming place to work for LGBTQ+ employees. This year, AirPride’s campaign, titled “Live, Work, and Pride Anywhere,” dedicated itself to fostering an empowering and celebratory atmosphere, centered around raising awareness for LGBTQ+ employees and allies, no matter where they are based. The campaign featured a series of engaging fireside chats and panel discussions with notable LGBTQ+ community leaders, participating in regional Pride celebrations, and proudly sponsored employees attending Out & Equal, the largest LGBTQ+ workplace inclusion event in the world, and Lesbians Who Tech–providing valuable opportunities for networking and professional growth for the LGBTQ+ tech community and the many other communities that support them.
“Supporting our LGBTQ+ team members, Hosts, and guests, and the global LGBTQ+ community is an important part of Airbnb’s mission. We’re proud to receive this honor from the HRC for the eighth year in a row, which acknowledges the commitment we’ve made to fair and equal treatment for people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. In partnership with our Employee Resources Groups, AirPride and Trans@, executive sponsors and other allies, we remain unwavering in our commitment to fostering a workplace where our LGBTQ+ teammates can thrive.”
– Alica Del Valle, Airbnb Head of Diversity & Belonging
Building an inclusive global community
- This year, we’ve seen Hosts around the globe increasingly embrace LGBTQ-affirming language. Since 2017, the number of Hosts around the world using LGBTQ+-inclusive language has surged by nearly 90%, signifying a shift towards an even more welcoming and inclusive global community. This shift not only fosters a welcoming environment for LGBTQ+ travelers, but showcases that no matter how you identify or who you love, you are always welcome on Airbnb1.
- During Pride Month last year, we waved our rainbow flag and celebrated the top 50 Pride celebrations around the world. From major destinations to charming small towns around the world, Pride festivities attract millions of participants and Hosts showcase the inclusiveness and diversity of their respective communities.
As we continue our journey and look ahead to 2024, we remain dedicated to creating a world where everyone can belong anywhere. This means not only supporting our employees but also ensuring that our Hosts and guests around the world feel welcomed and respected, irrespective of their gender identity or sexual orientation, championing the values of love, acceptance, and diversity that make our world a brighter place.