Airbnb Experiences are unique activities designed and led by inspiring hosts. From guiding guests down Temescal corridor to discovering neighborhood gems via postcards, to inspiring guests to unleash their creativity crafting festive headdresses at a local Mannequin warehouse, these authentic experiences invite guests to explore Oakland like a local.
Impact Hub in Oakland. For the event, Airbnb and Visit Oakland partnered with the Oakland African American Chamber, Oakland Chinatown Chamber, Oakland Latino Chamber, and Oakland Vietnamese Chamber of Commerce to showcase a few of Oakland’s best cultural ambassadors — experience hosts. By sharing the opportunity for anyone with a passion or skill to host an Airbnb Experience in Oakland, Airbnb aims to work with the community to help local entrepreneurs thrive, especially underrepresented communities in small business.
“Oakland is frequently recognized for its cultural and culinary diversity. The opportunity for Oaklanders to showcase what truly makes Oakland unique to visitors and residents is through curated experiences,” says Mark Everton, CEO of Visit Oakland. “The diversity of the scope of the experiences offered in Oakland is reflective of what sets Oakland apart from many other destinations.”
Visit Oakland is a non-profit that seeks to increase tourism’s economic impact to Oakland through destination development and brand management.
Launched in November 2016, Airbnb Experiences provide another way for hosts to ensure that traveler spending spreads to neighborhoods and small businesses beyond traditional tourist zones. Airbnb Experiences are also powerful drivers of entrepreneurship, creating a low-barrier pathway for locals with a shareable passion or skill to incubate new business ideas, earn extra income, and market to Airbnb’s vast community – all without the substantial capital it normally takes to start a business. There are now more than 40,000 Experiences in 1,000 cities around the world. All Experiences are reviewed for access, expertise and human connection. To become an Airbnb Experience host, sign up here.
“Being an experience host allows me to generate income around something I am passionate about — arts & culture — and have fun. I love to be able to engage the Oakland community creatively,” says Judi Townsend.
- Niki Green hosts “ Whiskey class in private speakeasy” on Airbnb Experience where she takes guests on a journey to learn all things whiskey and in a private Oakland speakeasy amid an enviable collection of spirits from around the world.
- Jena Pruitt hosts “Postcard Scavenger Hunt in Oakland” on Airbnb Experience where she uses postcards to guide her guests down Telegraph Avenue in Oakland’s Temescal neighborhood to search for the best local eateries, bookshops, and hangouts.
- Judi Henderson hosts a “Design a Floral Crown Headdress” on Airbnb Experience where she inspires guests to unleash their creative spirit by crafting headdresses to wear to events like Burning Man, Day of the Dead or weddings and galas.
- Raquel Novarro hosts gourmet adventures that take guests into the best of Oakland’s acclaimed food communities where they will discover delicious edible treasures and hear directly from the makers about what inspired their creations. Check out Racquel’s tours here.
- Miles Dotson hosts “Private Wine Tasting for R&B Lovers” on Airbnb Experience offers wine lovers of all levels a clear journey through a variety of wines accompanied by engaging activities and music to amplify their confidence in discovering their taste preferences.
- Lauren Herpich hosts “Local Food Adventures” on Airbnb Experience takes guests to explore various merchant corridors of Oakland for the best eateries in town. At the event, Lauren curated a foodie experience and guests had a taste of 3 minority-owned businesses that are a part of her tours, including Cactus Taqueria (Rockridge corridor), Everett and Jones BBQ (Jack London), and Colonial Donuts (Grand Lake).
If you’re interested in becoming an experience host, click here.