- Airbnb is welcoming the Year of the Ox with a first-time collaboration with Malaysian homegrown talents for a memorable Chinese New Year celebration
- Melinda Looi, Sherson Lian, Shen-Tel Lee and Sheena Liam will be hosting their very own special edition festive Online Experiences
Family reunions may be limited for this year’s Chinese New Year festivities, but that doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate with our loved ones! For the first time ever, Airbnb is teaming up with four homegrown Malaysian talents to host special edition Online Experiences that friends and families can participate in together on this joyous occasion.
Hosted by award-winning fashion designer Melinda Looi, celebrity chef and TV personality Sherson Lian, entrepreneur and philanthropist Shen-tel Lee, and fashion model and artist Sheena Liam, these four Online Experiences will take place on Airbnb from 6 February onwards.
Malaysians and guests around the region can sign up when the Online Experiences go live at http://www.airbnb.com/d/chineseniuyear on 2 February 2020. Seats are now bookable, with limited slots for each one-off experience.
- Design Sock Puppets with Melinda Looi – Need something to keep the little ones occupied? Melinda’s Online Experience will show you easy ways to upcycle your old socks or clothes into adorable Ox puppets, to mark this Year of the Ox.
- Mom’s Signature CNY Duck w/ Sherson Lian – Amp up your reunion dinner by learning how to make a Cucumber and Wood Ear Fungus Salad and Sour Plum Stewed Duck, with Sherson’s very own treasured family recipes.
- DIY Yee Sang with Shentel & Betty Lee – Hop into the kitchen with Shen-tel and her mother as the charismatic duo share their tips and tricks to creating impressive yee sang platters with everyday ingredients. All proceeds from Shen-tel’s Social Impact Experience will be donated to Kuching Food Aid.
- Make Festive Cocktails with Sheena Liam – Surprise your family and liven up your reunions with Sheena’s delicious recipes, as the passionate budding mixologist teams up with the founders of Penang’s Backdoor Bodega and Hold Up! to teach you how to craft festive Malaysian cocktails and mocktails.
“Airbnb understands how important festivals such as Chinese New Year are to Malaysians. We wanted to bring joy and help families celebrate in their own ways, since this year’s holiday is certainly looking very different. Since we launched Online Experiences last year, it has become an immensely popular way for guests to connect, explore a new culture or pick up a new skill. These Online Experiences by our four Malaysian celebrity hosts shine a spotlight on what Chinese New Year means to them, as they share their personal stories and passions with us,” said Amanpreet Bajaj, General Manager of India, Southeast Asia, Hong Kong and Taiwan, Airbnb.
“This opportunity to collaborate with Airbnb is a chance for me to share two things I hold incredibly close to my heart: fashion and family. As a mother, I know my kids were looking forward to the familiar thrills and excitement that Chinese New Year celebrations usually bring. Even if we can’t celebrate in the same way this year, I believe we can spend time together and create our own brand of fun – and I’m looking forward to sharing this with everyone,” shared Melinda Looi.
“I’m delighted to be a part of this partnership with Airbnb, and even more excited to share these cherished family recipes with my fellow Malaysians. These dishes have a very special meaning to me as my mother and I prepare them for our own family dinners every Chinese New Year. I hope to share this festive deliciousness with Malaysians as they cook and enjoy these dishes together with their loved ones,” added Sherson Lian.
Throughout the month of February, Airbnb hosts around Southeast Asia and Asia Pacific are opening up their homes virtually to celebrate Chinese New Year with a variety of Online Experiences, such as cooking xiao long bao, brewing the perfect tea and more. Whether learning a variety of new cuisines to spice up your meals at home, or commemorating the start of a new lunar year by embracing new positive habits, there are plenty of activities to explore over the festive holiday weekend. Check out all Chinese New Year Online Experiences available for booking at http://www.airbnb.com/d/chineseniuyear.