Thai Online Experience Host joins Airbnb’s Global Celebration of Pride
- Guests can discover the secrets behind Ladyboys in Thailand, attend a queer poetry workshop for a good cause in Portland or join a global LGBTQ bar hop across four cities around the world during the month of June and beyond
- Airbnb is partnering with IGLTA (International LGBTQ+ Travel Association) and the IGLTA Foundation and its members to launch 100 new Experiences representing LGBTQ+ diversity over the coming year
- Online Experiences have swiftly evolved to be one of guests’ favorite ways to be transported to new destinations while at home, with bookings growing by as much as 250% from launch to date across Asia-Pacific
At a time when physical connection is exceptionally difficult and in-person events have been cancelled, the LGBTQ+ community and allies around the world are getting ready to celebrate Pride month like never before.
Online Experience hosts on Airbnb will bring to life the platform’s first virtual celebration of LGBTQ+ culture, history and activism across more than 10 countries. Pride enthusiasts will be able to travel virtually and join Online Experiences led by hosts in Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, Australia, Germany, Portugal and more from the comfort of their living room, both during and after June.
In Thailand the Kratoey, or Ladyboys, are a cultural draw. While they’re mainly known for their dance shows, you can learn the secrets behind Ladyboys in Thailand and discuss gender identity and the country’s transgender community through this unique Online Experience.
Throughout the year, guests wishing to celebrate alongside the LGBTQ+ community on Airbnb will also be able to join a global LGBTQ bar hop across four cities.
Airbnb has also partnered with IGLTA (International LGBTQ+ Travel Association) and the IGLTA Foundation and its members to launch 100 new Experiences representing LGBTQ+ diversity over the coming year, including learning all about LGBTQ Culture and Nightlife in London or exploring the Stonewall Museum LGBTQ Archives.
“This partnership provides an exciting way to elevate the voices of IGLTA business members and to promote their LGBTQ+ travel experiences to a new and expanded audience. We also appreciate Airbnb Experiences’ commitment to the IGLTA Foundation, which will create visibility and funding for our LGBTQ+ tourism industry initiatives globally”, said John Tanzella, President and CEO of IGLTA.
Other Experiences to virtually celebrate Pride all year round include:
- Prosthetic Adaptations with a Paralympian athlete (Exmouth, United Kingdom)
- Queer Poetry Workshop for a Good Cause (Portland, United States)
- Berlin’s Sex History with a Sociologist (Berlin, Germany)
- Twists & Turns – Matthew Mitcham’s story (Sydney, Australia)
- Defeating Gender Stereotypes, One Drink Drink at a Time (Orlando, United States)
Launched in April 2020, Online Experiences unlock unprecedented access to inspiring hosts and activities across the world, including meditating with sleepy sheep in the UK, meeting a real life shark scientist in South Africa and more. Whether joining a yoga session hosted by an Olympian, wine tasting in Portugal, or cooking Mexican street tacos with a pro chef, guests have the chance to connect with new people and travel virtually, all from the comfort of their own living room.
Following its global launch, Online Experiences have swiftly evolved to be one of guests’ favorite ways to be transported to new destinations while at home, with 20,000 seats booked in the first two weeks1. Across Asia-Pacific, Online Experience bookings have increased 250% from week of launch to date2. To celebrate Pride and book dedicated virtual experiences, you can visit airbnb.com/online-experiences.
1Based on Airbnb internal data measuring number of Online Experiences’ seats booked from April 8-22, 2020.
2Based on Airbnb internal data as of May 22, 2020.