Airbnb has been recognized as a Disability Equality Index® (DEI) Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion. We are proud to share that we received a 100 percent score on the DEI for the second year in a row, joining 240 companies with a top score.
The DEI was launched in 2015 by Disability:IN and The American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and is acknowledged today as the most robust disability inclusion assessment tool in business. The DEI was created by the DEI Advisory Committee, a diverse group of business leaders, policy experts, and disability advocates. Now in its eighth year, the DEI exists to help businesses make a positive impact on the unemployment/underemployment of people with disabilities. In 2022, 415 corporations utilized the DEI to benchmark their disability inclusion efforts.
Airbnb is committed to disability inclusion for our employees and our community of Hosts and guests around the world. While this recognition is important, we are committed to continued progress and improvement to help ensure our product, community, and company is inclusive of people with disabilities. Some of our ongoing work includes:
- Reviewing and improving our company policies and practices to ensure they’re inclusive of employees with disabilities.
- Providing training for Airbnb employees designed to strengthen disability allyship within our company.
- Executive sponsorship and support for Able@, our employee resource group for employees with disabilities and allies.
- Continuing to expand our definitions of diversity to help us better understand and support our employees. In the US, and now newly launched in the UK and Ireland, employees can now voluntarily share if they identify with having a disability.
- Through our Supplier Diversity program, connecting more diverse-owned (including people with disabilities-owned) businesses with Airbnb to provide goods and services.
- Engaging with the disability community by hosting Disability Advisory roundtables in the United States and in Europe with national and regional organizations, activists, advocates, and leaders to inform our work.
- Introducing updates to make it easier for guests with disabilities to find and book accommodations and activities that meet their needs, including our Accessibility Review for Stays and accessibility filters for Experiences.
- As a Worldwide Paralympic Partner in a nine-year, five-Games partnership, supporting Paralympian athletes as Hosts and guests on Airbnb.
- Continued membership in the Valuable 500, a movement to encourage businesses to advance disability inclusion in their organization.
Globally, people with disabilities represent over one billion people. Disability is a natural part of the human experience, and it crosses lines of age, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and religion.
“Disability inclusion is a rapidly expanding aspect of corporate culture, and it’s gratifying to partner with 415 companies on the 2022 Disability Equality Index,” said Jill Houghton, President and CEO of Disability:IN. “These top-scoring companies not only excel in disability inclusion, many are also adopting emerging trends and pioneering measures that can move the disability agenda from accommodation to inclusion and ultimately, genuine belonging.”
“There is no single best way to practice disability inclusion, however, the companies taking the DEI share the desire to create a workplace that fosters the concept of bringing your whole self to the office,” said Maria Town, President and CEO of AAPD. “We look forward to working with all of the participants to help identify meaningful ways to build upon their current practices as we continue on the disability inclusion journey together.”
About the Disability Equality Index®
The Disability Equality Index (DEI) is a comprehensive benchmarking tool that helps companies build a roadmap of measurable, tangible actions that they can take to achieve disability inclusion and equality. Each company receives a score, on a scale of zero (0) to 100, with those earning 80 and above recognized as a “Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion.” The DEI is a joint initiative of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD), the nation’s largest disability rights organization, and Disability:IN, the global business disability inclusion network, to collectively advance the inclusion of people with disabilities. The organizations are complementary and bring unique strengths that make the project relevant and credible to corporations and the disability community. The tool was developed by the DEI Advisory Committee, a diverse group of business leaders, policy experts, and disability advocates. Learn more at: www.DisabilityEqualityIndex.org.
About the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD)
AAPD is a convener, connector, and catalyst for change, increasing the political and economic power for people with disabilities. As a national cross-disability rights organization AAPD advocates for full civil rights for the 60+ million Americans with disabilities. Learn more at: www.aapd.com.
Disability:IN is a global organization driving disability inclusion and equality in business. More than 400 corporations partner with Disability:IN to create long-term business and social impact through the world’s most comprehensive disability inclusion benchmarking and reporting tool, the Disability Equality Index (DEI); best-in-class conferences and programs; expert counsel and engagement; and public policy leadership. Join us at disabilityin.org/AreYouIN #AreYouIN