- New Airbnb survey shows that over half of all Filipinos polled are interested in becoming Airbnb Hosts to take advantage of the new appetite for travel
- Filipinos are embracing flexible travel, with 65 percent saying they are now more flexible with their holiday type and travel dates
Manila, Philippines. 06 December 2022 — As the holiday season awaits and the travel rebound continues to unfold, more Filipino travelers are embracing flexible travel while more homeowners turn to hosting on Airbnb for additional income. A new survey commissioned by Airbnb* reveals that over half of Filipinos polled expressed interest in becoming Airbnb Hosts to take advantage of the new appetite for travel.
Around the world, Airbnb has seen strong growth rates of new Hosts, especially in countries with high inflation rates. Notably, 77 percent of Filipinos polled said they were looking for ways to offset rising costs of living. The survey also shows that desire for travel remains high, with over a quarter of respondents saying that they will continue to find ways to travel even if general costs of living rise.
In a trend that started since the pandemic, millions are now enjoying their newfound freedom to live and work anywhere. Notably, 65 percent of Filipinos polled said that they are now more flexible in terms of their type of holidays and time of travel. Notably, of those who plan to travel within the next year, 1 in 4 Filipinos said they plan to travel without set dates.
This new approach to travel and living continues to shape the choice of accommodation among Filipino travellers. When asked about factors that influence when and how they travel:
- Almost half indicated they are likely to travel if they can find accommodation that makes longer stays easy and comfortable
- 35% pointed to destinations offering unique styles of accommodations
- 25% prioritised access to amenities that make it easy to combine remote work with travel, such as a dedicated workspace and a fast, reliable internet connection
This growing appetite for travel among Filipinos puts homeowners in a unique position to take advantage of the Airbnb Setup, the all-new easy way to Airbnb one’s home which was announced early this month. In Q3, Pasay ranked as the #1 trending domestic destination for Filipino guests on Airbnb, followed by El Nido, Cebu City, Paranaque, and Iloilo City.**
Amanpreet Bajaj, Airbnb’s General Manager for Southeast Asia, India, Hong Kong and Taiwan, said the fundamental shifts towards long-term stays and flexible travel point to the increasingly important role that short-term accommodations (STRA) like Airbnb play in the new era of travel.
“This growing appetite for travel is a positive sign as tourism recovery gathers pace. More keenly, this is an opportune moment for aspiring Filipino entrepreneurs to Airbnb their homes and earn additional income to mitigate rising living costs or support their travels,” he added.
* Online survey of 1063 respondents in the Philippines commissioned by Airbnb and conducted by YouGov between 6-12 October 2022
** Based on increase in searches of destinations (minimum 1,000) in Q3 2021