Recently, we shared that Airbnb Hosts earned more than $190 billion CAD* since 2010, including more than $7 billion earned by Canadians. And last year alone, new Airbnb Hosts tapped into the travel revolution, earning more than $230 million on the platform.
Today, we’re releasing new insights into the best times of year Canadians are welcoming guests into homes on Airbnb. From Canada Day to Fall with the family, here are the times of year with the highest Host income in Canada last year:
- Canada Day Weekend – it comes as no surprise that Canada Day weekend is king for Canadians hosting on Airbnb. Canadian Hosts earned nearly $16 million on July 2, 2021, as the dog days of summer kicked off and families hit the road.
- Labour Day Weekend – on September 4, 2021, Canadian Hosts earned more than $15 million over the unofficial end of summer weekend.
- The Civic Holiday Weekend – on July 31, 2021, Canadians earned more than $14 million as summer continued – making this the third highest income day for Hosts in the calendar year.
- Thanksgiving Weekend – rounding out the top five days are October 2, 2021 and October 9, 2021 (more than $13 million each), marking the shift to cooler days and the holiday season.
- to 10. Sizzling Summer Travel – summer is peak travel season for Canadians and international visitors, taking up eight of the top 10 days with the highest Host income, including every weekend in August captured on the list to round out the top 10. August 2, 7, 14, 21 and 28 earned Hosts a combined total of more than $60 million last year.
While these high-demand travel times have resulted in significant income for our Host community – and can offer a good starting point for many prospective Hosts – there is increasingly an opportunity for many to share their home anytime and anywhere. The pandemic and the rise of remote and hybrid work have untethered many from offices, and for the first time, millions of people can now live anywhere. In fact, approximately one-fifth of nights booked globally in Q4 2021 were for 28 days or longer.